Saturday, July 15, 2006

The Tomato Contest of Dr. Charles

Above: Health Kick
Below: Super San Marzano


Below: Brandywine
Not shown: Prudens Purple, which still hasn't set fruit


Dr. Charles has a tomato contest going, and I loves me some competition, even in contests where all odds are against me. Growing tomatoes, for example. I live in the foothills of the central Cascades. Even in July night time temps are typically in the 40s, low 50s. Getting even the short season, Siberian varieties to ripen takes constant vigilance and nurturing. And guess who forgot to plant any short season, Siberian varieties this year? I got too carried away with starting plants from some packets of seeds I had lying around, and one thing led to another and I ended up with a bed plus a planter full of paste tomatoes, and long-season heirloom varieties. Plus it's a good six weeks past the start of the contest. Still, any excuse to post pictures of my tomatoes, which are doing surprisingly well under the circumstances. I'll consider this my baseline against which my finish in future competitions can be compared. And if the good doctor considers adding an underdog category, I am so in!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home