Sunday, February 11, 2007

Now in bloom

Carol at May Dreams Gardens has declared the 15th of each month to be “Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day”. I love that idea. For the last few years I've been organizing my garden photos online by month and year. It's fun to look back and see what was in bloom this time in years past.

Ordinarily my hellebores would have been in full bloom by now. Sometimes they are even blooming by Christmas. But It’s been a cold winter and the buds are just beginning to appear above the mulch. The sarcococca and daphne odora are late as well. But the other day I found a couple of snowdrops under the sumac tree and a single cyclamen coum blossom.


And today I picked my first bouquet of the year, of black pussy willow, salix gracilistyla 'Melanostachys'. Unfortunately the photo doesn’t begin to capture the glossy jet black catkins that almost make up for how coarse and unattractive this shrub is the other 11 months of the year.


In the wings: hepatica and the hellabores. (Sounds like a good name for a band)

And yes, I am jumping the gun by a few days because I will be traveling on the 15th.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carol Michel said...

Doesn't it just figure that since we are all listing blooms on the 15th, everything is late this year? I'll have a very short list on the 15th. Everything is buried under 9 inches of snow and sleet. Ah, but March is coming... as they say "next month".

Thanks for participating!

14 February, 2007 02:26  
Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

I've never heard, let alone see, black pussy willow. Love your arrangement with it and the moss. I just did a late bloom day post. Hope you didn't get caught up in the winter weather on your trip.

17 February, 2007 19:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely flower arrangment - and with 11 months of 'unsightly' to have them indoors for as long as possible is a worthwhile prize.

21 February, 2007 12:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home