Wednesday, November 14, 2007

November Blooms

To make up for missing the last two months' * of Garden Bloggers Bloom Day here is the photo-heavy, text-light November edition of what's in bloom on Tiger Mountain. It's amazing what you can find in bloom this time of year if you look hard enough.

Alpine Strawberries (the Energizer Bunny of strawberry plants):


Aster (Lady in Black variety):


Azalea (yes, this one gets confused every year around this time and puts out a few blossoms):


Calendula:


Chrysanthemum:


Dandelion (just one!):


Eupatorium, aka Joe Pye Weed (okay, it's not exactly blooming, but the seed heads are really pretty.):


Feverfew:


Hydrangea (faded but still going):


Lamium, aka golden dead nettle (as bloomy as it ever gets, but I love the foliage!):


Lavatera:


Marigold (oops, I can't find that photo now)
Nasturtium:


Rose de Rescht (blooms in November and fabulous fragrance, too!):


Vibernum tinus (I planted this because I love the iridescent berries, which really dress up a winter bouquet of greens, but the flowers are a nice bonus this time of year):


Speaking of berries, they really should count as blooms, especially when they are as colorful as these:


or these rose hips, on my 'Kathleen' musk rose:


or these lingonberries which are even redder than this photo shows:


I think beautiful foliage should count for something too. Like this azalea:



This little deciduous rhody:


And the native big-leaf maple whose abundant leaf fall almost makes up for its lack of spectacular fall color (because after all, jumping in a big pile of leaves is what it's all about!):


*I missed September's bloom day because I was in Amsterdam and while I was busy taking photos of what I found in bloom there, I then realized I didn't have a way to upload the pictures. I missed October's bloom day because it snuck up on me while I was trying to catch up on work after my vacation and we had moved into that time of year (and career) where it's dark when I leave the house and dark when I come home. So this month I cheated and took my pictures on the 11th.

7 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

I'm glad that you are back and posting again! There is so much still blooming in your garden - I'd be hard-pressed to find anything other than pansies and a few odd leaves. Otherwise, everything is covered in snow.

It's fun looking at blogs in warmer places and seeing some flowers. Only a few more months until spring!

15 November, 2007 16:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have quite a lot of color, too, whether flower, leaf, or berry.

Did you post photos from Amsterdam after your trip? I was there last summer and posted a few (http://www.penick.net/digging/?p=299). I'd love to see yours.

15 November, 2007 17:58  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

Welcome back! It's nice to see gardens (other than mine!) still are blooming nicely in November, like yours.

Thanks for joining us again, and like Pam, I hope to see some pictures from Amsterdam on your blog someday soon. I hope I didn't miss them!

Carol at May Dreams Gardens

15 November, 2007 18:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mind you cheating - we get to see all the wonderful flora and fauna - stunning - and alpine strawberries - probably not there now though.]]

16 November, 2007 09:42  
Blogger Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I used to grow Aster 'Lady in Black,' but for some mysterious reason, it died. Thanks for posting a pic of yours, I enjoyed it. And the pic of the dandelion - LOL!

17 November, 2007 05:32  
Blogger fiona-h said...

I love how you included a dandelion

10 December, 2007 20:52  
Blogger chuck b. said...

I really like the yellow calendula--I've never seen that before. Did grow it from seed or buy it as a plant? I tried some odd-colored calendula seeds I got off the seed rack at the nusery I use, and the flowers were downright ugly.

15 December, 2007 13:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home