Monday, January 14, 2008

First Bloom Day of 2008

I don't know when I've been this excited to post what's in bloom. I've been like a little kid waiting for Santa Claus, ever since I realized I'd have three things blooming in my garden today.

As I predicted last month, the sarcococca ruscifolia is in full bloom, although you have to look closely because the flowers aren't very showy. (Waverly Fitzgerald of Living in Season has a much better photo.)And to answer Chuck B's question last month, it smells wonderful. A single branch will perfume a small room but it's not at all cloying.


Also, as predicted, the first of the hellebores. 'Briggs Double' I think this one is. The annoying thing about hellebores is the way the flowers always face down at the ground, which makes getting a good photo something of a challenge:


Finally, my cyclamen coum, or rather one of them, the only one that I can find this year. I suspect I dug out the rest of them accidentally when I divided my hostas, with which they are interplanted. (If you got a hosta from me last fall check it out; you may have a cyclamen blooming on that spot.) This one may have escaped that fate because I had the good sense to stick a label in the ground last year.



Ever since I saw this gorgeous amaryllis blooming on a stucco wall in Italy a couple years ago, I've wanted to grow a really deep red amaryllis.



This year's is red enough, I guess, but it seems lacking somehow, compared to these:

Think it might just be the background?

8 Comments:

Blogger Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I've been thinking about getting a double Hellebore, but I have so many Hellebores already. After seeing yours, I'm so tempted. I've had some luck with marking tiny bulbs with golf tees. There are some that are wood color & blend into garden mulch, but are visible on close inspection (such as when you are digging Hostas).

15 January, 2008 09:30  
Blogger Frances, said...

Lovely photos! I wish I had a piece of your hosta with the surprise of a cyclamen. The double hellebore is gorgeous.

15 January, 2008 10:14  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Maybe you should paint the wall behind the amaryllis a Mediterranean sky blue, Molly!

The hellebores are obviously trying to impress the garden fairies rather than the garden bloggers, but those are worth the effort of crouching low to the ground ;-]

Happy Blooming Day from

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

15 January, 2008 11:33  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

Molly, I'm excited with you that you have blooms in January. I agree with Annie, you need to paint a nice Mediterranean scene behind the amarylls and it will fit right in.

Thanks for joining us for another bloom day!
Carol, May Dreams Gardens

15 January, 2008 16:45  
Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Wow, you've got a Hellebore in flower already and such a pretty one too. Oh yes indeed, the Sarcococca is a wonderfully scented plant. I have one too but I have the humilis one.

Cyclamen are great, both indoors and out.

16 January, 2008 02:20  
Blogger Christa said...

I'm with you. I get really excited when I have things actually blooming on Bloom Day. Even if it's just a few!

I've only ever seen cyclamen as a potted indoor plant -- never outside -- so I've learned something new. Thank you!

16 January, 2008 15:13  
Blogger Christy Woolum said...

How beautiful. I am envious that you have blooms. We are sitting in three feet of snow and dropping temperatures up here!

19 January, 2008 22:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get extremely anxious as well waiting for my Hellebores to finally bloom. Take a look at Heronswood Nursery, they have an incredible selection of Hellebores.

10 March, 2008 07:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home