Monday, June 04, 2007

Unwelcome guest

Alfalfa pellets are a popular inexpensive organic fertilizer. Because the roots of the alfalfa plant grow deep into the ground the plant (allegedly) is a valuable source of trace minerals, as well as nitrogen. All I know is my roses love the stuff. But I was not expecting the bumper crop of alfalfa that has sprung up around my Golden Wings heirloom shrub rose, and which threatens to choke it out if I don't get in there and do something about it soon. And because the roots of the alfalfa plant grow deep into the ground. . .ugh.

4 Comments:

Blogger Christy Woolum said...

We have done the same thing with alfalfa, but I didn't remember it growing. It was one of those unpleasant experiences I probably blanked out!

04 June, 2007 22:11  
Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Not good that especially as it roots deeply! Best get it out as soon as you can.

05 June, 2007 09:34  
Blogger fiona-h said...

sounds like it's time for a big salad.

06 June, 2007 23:54  
Blogger kate said...

That does not sound good ... I hope you've been able to get rid of the alfalfa. It's too bad when something that should be a good thing turns out to be a nuisance.

How are the baby chicks doing? They are adorable.

I love your dog!What a wonderful expression he has.

09 June, 2007 20:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home