Saturday, January 19, 2008

Oodles of Noodles


Fresh egg noodles, made with duck eggs. And while I wait for the water to boil, I'd like to take a minute to express my appreciation for my three ducks, W, X, and Y:
As they are notoriously camera-shy and always on the go, I've been trying for weeks to get a decent photo. This will have to do. You see them as they are for pretty much every daylight hour, working to aerate and fertilize my lawn, and eating any slug that crosses their path. Unlike the chickens they do not tear up my planting beds, dig big holes for dust bathing, and they eat slugs. They (W and X) laid steadily through the coldest darkest days of winter--big thick-shelled eggs with huge golden yolks. They continue to out-lay the hens and, did I mention that they eat slugs? Here they are aerating the lawn:
(Top-right is Maria Theresa making a dash for the woods) They drill their beaks right down into the ground leaving perfectly round holes.

W suffered a dislocated leg in of a dog attack last summer that killed most of my flock. I popped it back into place, but she still walks with a limp . And yes, that is how she earned her name.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sherry at the Zoo said...

Love the pictures! If we didn't live smack dab in the middle of the burbs, I'd have lots of ducks and chickens. I'm envious!

19 January, 2008 19:54  
Blogger Katie said...

I like W because of the name. It took me a second for your joke to register, but that's pretty funny.

Glad to see some of the flock made it.

Katie at GardenPunks

19 January, 2008 21:55  
Blogger The Diva said...

We've owned chickens, ducks, geese, horses, dogs and a cat.

I really liked the ducks.

24 January, 2008 17:45  
Blogger Unknown said...

I ducks are wonderful - how I wish I had some - but not a big enough garden methinks

28 January, 2008 13:41  
Blogger Wissh said...

I thought I'd spend most of the day writing and organizing my own new blog, but what a wonderful surprise your blog is. Ducks and chickens and gardening, oh my!
I so miss gardening, had to give it up after the back surgery. Bending=bad. I intend to enjoy it vicariously through you.

24 February, 2008 10:44  
Blogger Wissh said...

Two things occurred to me after leaving the last comment: you might never find it as it was left on one of your old blogs, and the RYC was in response to your comment, but it was your comment to TLS.

09 March, 2008 08:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home